Monday, November 19, 2007

Looking Back

Looking back at the coursework from our Strategies for Curriculum Change, I realized that I got the chance to throw away what I was expecting of this class from the get go. The general programs here at MSU are so straight-forward and by the book. We read from our texts and then spent 45 hours being lectured. We then perform a project that gets put together in the span of a few weeks that is nto useful for our craft. Well, this class was actually different. Did we do a lot of small assignments just to check our understanding? Yes, we did. However, we performed these tasks using creative and exciting technologies that actually made the work fun. Making a slam, writing a couple weekly blog entries, working on a collaborative essay. I have to say I cannot wait to integrate these ideas into my Middle School classroom [I am currently pending administrative approval for blog usage.] I have learned new, practical techniques for my classroom.

Secondly, and more directly I might add, I learned that when assessing a building's curricula, it is imperative for a new administrator to assess the hidden curriculum from within the building. Elementary Schools, Middle Schools and High Schools are living, breathing entities that are different from one another. It is important for an administrator to fully grasp the feelings that a school building engenders in its student population. I never thought about the value that the unwritten curriculum holds on the student body.

6 comments:

Prof. Bachenheimer said...

Rich,

Good point about the hidden curriculum. Question: How do you suppose we can balance the hidden curriculum in every specific building while still being true to state (and national?) standards?

Hillary said...

I agree that this class unfolded in a way I never anticipated and allowed me to take what I learned and apply it in a real world setting.

What may be more important than learning what to change is learning how to change it--particularly among reluctant educators.

Much of what we were being required to do is what we want educators and students to do--think not just outside the box but think far from it.

Rich Sackerman said...

I think that would require administration to work towards officially trying to establish a formal identity for their building.

I don't know that it is important for all schools, state-wide and nationally, to conform and have the same hidden curricula. I do think it is important for administrators to learn their school's hidden curricula to fit into its mold or to tweak it into a positive influence on the students.

materiaj1 said...

I believe everyone agrees that this course was a breath of fresh air. The work was frequent but manageable; also, it was not a typical MSU course with all the busy work. I feel as if we walk away with strategies for change and maintainance of quality lerning.

CARL said...

Many times, a curriculum is overshadowed by the hidden curriculum associated. What we have to do is to make sure we take this into account. The hidden curriculum is just as important.

Traci GT said...

I was definatly challenged to try different strategies and technologies. We were given time to work on them and in groups. I liked the way you are hoping to implement the blog. Something I didnt think of....thanks