Thursday, November 1, 2007

Mapping

I think that the curriculum mapping plan can be beneficial for a district to keep tabs on continuity across the content in each class in the building. The problems with this program appear to me to be twofold. 1) This program relies greatly on teacher buy in. If teachers do not follow through, trying to map them together will not work and can crumble the program. 2) I think there is great fault in school district’s looking to change over to mapping plans as I feel that many schools struggle to implement changes appropriately.
Districts that have several buildings that teach the same grade would seem to also struggle with them across buildings. It would take a lot of time working inter-building-ly [I made up a word]. I can see my district attempting to adopt this policy while not following through at all. What I mean is, it seems like a good idea so our school system would jump at the idea to look better than the other local districts. They would not, however, offer assistance on how to align the programs across our four elementary schools.

No comments: